Spiritual Direction Spiritual direction is a relationship in which the director assists you in the discovery of who you are called to become in fidelity to the inmost desires of your heart. It is a tool for cultivating your ability … Continue reading
In 1997, as word of my cancer diagnosis spread, the phrases, meant to be encouraging, that I heard most frequently were “You’ve got to fight this” or “you can beat the ‘Big C’”. (Thank you, John Wayne.) The problem is that I did not have then nor do I now have now more than trace amounts of warrior energy. But I tried. I tried really strict eating regimens, even macrobiotic (although not for long), and came to the conclusion that if this is how I was going to eat for the rest of my life, I wasn’t sure how long I wanted to live.
I spared myself the suffering that comes with the question “Why me?” I’d gone through a different version of the question during the worst years of the AIDs epidemic when I found myself asking, “Why not me?” The best answer I could come up with is that God would never give me a disease that has an unexplained weight loss. I kept that conclusion a secret until I let it slip at a dinner with a couple of HIV-infected friends and they howled with laughter at the gallows humor.
- The Most Unforgettable Character I Ever Met
- Communion through a candy bar!
- God Is In The Details
- Thanks for the Memories
- We Rise
- How to Connect Directly With the Divine: A free course from my friend Andrew Harvey
- How to Heal & Awaken Through Writing: A free virtual event from my friend Mark Matousek
- Quality Time
- Meditation Contemplation and Facebook
- Turner Classics – May’s Medication
- Dreams of Glory
- Somebody Ought To Do Something
- Happy Saturday
- Turner Classic Movies – My Pharmacy of Choice